Saturday, November 04, 2006

Mom's Night Out

Thank-you to my wonderful friends who took me out, fed me, and gave me alcohol, much appreciated! Last night was honestly the first time that I have gone out since Tristan was born that I didn't worry about him. I know that it seems silly that I would ever worry about leaving him with his dad, but of course, I do.

Now, don't get me wrong, Nick is a wonderful father, but it's that stubborn mom streak. I have the boobs, therefore I hold the power (with the baby anyway). Nobody, not my husband, my mother, my mother-in-law, could possibly live up to my expectations. Let's face it, most days I don't live up to my own expectations.

In my head, Tristan's ideal caregiver would change his diaper right away when it was wet, would be engaged with him the whole time playing and stimulating him, and would bathe him and have him in bed by 8:30pm.

Now, my reality is much different. Admittedly I end up putting him in his exersaucer so I can do laundry, clean, cook, whatever. I sometimes leave him to cry for a couple of minutes in a wet diaper if I am in the middle of something. And with me lately he never, ever, goes to bed on time. I also let him play by himself on the floor, or cuddle with me on the couch so I can enjoy watching tv for an hour or so and relax.

We can't all be perfect though. And we definitely can't be perfect at everything. There are not enough hours in the day to spend all of them with my child, have a squeaky clean house, make sure my husband is content, devote time to my spirituality and new hearth, and somehow have some ME time so that I don't go flippin insane. And Nick wonders why some days I am down right grouchy!

2 Comments:

At 1:44 p.m., Blogger Kierllyahn said...

It was a great night!!! I have the best friends!:)

 
At 2:51 p.m., Blogger Unknown said...

I've met the kids that had the perfect caregivers and 100% attention. They're called royalty and they're not somebody I'd want to hang around with. Learning to deal with alone-ness is just part of the human experience. I wouldn't beat yourself up too bad for not meeting your expectations.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home